mardi, novembre 12

Life on social media after death or awkward personal branding #SMCSFblog - Day12

No dark ideas with in my mind.
I don't know why I'm thinking about this today (well I know...)

Life on social media after death.

These last 2 years some people that I know, from work, family, sadly passed away.
It's a loss.
They go away but their souvenir stay with us.

And many times their social media account stay too.

I can't get hold of the post I published on Facebook when my elder brother passed away.
And I should check which improvements were made since then (he passed away about a year and a half ago, a little bit more).

People go and their accounts stay. 
Their presence online is still present. All the good things you wrote stay accessible. As well as all the sh*t.
If there's no will with the instructions (and all the passwords!!) how can one close the deceased account?

When I checked this last year most companies didn't have a special policy about this.
Some were starting to offer an online will.
Of course you can contact the administrators to inform but there's no published process on how to do.
If you don't have the instructions (+ passwords) the account may stay live for ever. And outlive the person.

Some people use the account to post notes on the birthday of the person's departure. I don't feel confortable about this.
Some families close the person's account and keep the memories outside the www.

I don't know if it is good or not.

I think I wouldn't like my social media accounts to out live me.
Gotta write my online will one of these days.

Aucun commentaire: